I am going to share some of my grocery store savings ideas!!!
I shop every 2 weeks for my major items. On week one I shop for all major items, meat, frozen, staples; produce and bread are shopped for each week. On week two I will go back to the store for that weeks produce, bread, or something on sale for something I will need in an upcoming meal. .
1. Always and always make a menu for 2 weeks. I am working on a spread sheet with meals my family loves so I can eventually shop sales also. (I will show you my meal plan at the bottom).
2. Always shop from a grocery list. (I will show you my generic grocery list at the bottom). When I run out of something it immediately goes on the list. I print out my grocery list for the whole month in advance.
3. Use coupons. I cut out the coupons I get in the newspaper on Sundays and also go online for some. If I buy a product that I have a coupon for I put a "c" in red by the item on my grocery list, then I know to compare prices on that item and the store brand item to see if it is worth purchasing. If it is not I do not use the coupon.
3. Never go to the grocery store hungry. I go after I eat my breakfast on Thursdays or Fridays. I try and go in the mornings, it is less busy and I can compare prices better.
4. I always go to the grocery store by myself, when I bring my husband I always spend more. ( I get home and find things in the bags I would have never bought.)
5. I try and keep to a budget at all times. If I can keep to a budge then I can put the money in my next weeks shopping envelope.
I usually am in the grocery store for about 1 hour, never over 1 hour and 15 minutes. The longer you are in the grocery store the more money will spend.
I also do not stock pile food, it can go bad or expire before you use it and you are just throwing money away. I will purchase extra if I know I will use it with 45 - 60 days. Plus I do not like a cluttered pantry.
Here is my generic grocery list, it is a word doc. and I continually add things to the list that I purchase. When I need something I use a highlighter. If the item is not on the list I write it in the correct category and then will add it to the main list on the computer that evening.
Here is the beginning of my meal list, it is an on-going project and I keep it in front of my recipe binder. I will post my recipe binder next week for you to see and show you how to make your own. (One day your children will be so thankful you did this, all recipes in one place for them).I keep all tried and true recipes that my family loves in one book, that way it is easy to only grab one book at time of grocery shopping.
And, last but not least, this weeks menu. It will resemble last weeks menu. I did not cook this week because I came down with Vertigo and I could not stand up.
Sunday Pound Cake with Strawberries
Fresh Green Beans
Bacon / Lettuce / Tomato Sandwich
Wednesday Chocolate Crinckles
Pork Chops with Gravy
I do not cook on Friday evening because
We have a late lunch. We usually have
cheese and cracker w/wine