Sunday, November 11, 2012

Coconut Cream Pie

It has been almost 3 weeks since I have posted.
  I have been so pre-occupied and could not even think about blogging.  For the last week I have missed it so much.  Long story short, Hubby lost his job after many, many years.  I guess Loyalty is not important anymore.  Then Hubby's mom got sick and he had to take an emergency trip.  She is doing better now, I cooked up lots of dishes and he took them and put them in the freezer for her.  

He came home yesterday and I am so glad, missed him so very much.  For a surprise I made him a Coconut Cream Pie!!!!!  

Not only is it beautiful but it is so good.


1 flaky pie crust
2 cups whole milk
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
Pinch of salt
4 large eggs, divided
1 1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Pinch of cream of tarter

Preheat oven to 350.  Bake pie crust for 20 - 30 minutes, until browned.  You need to pre-bake your pie crust when making a cream pie.

Mix 1/2 cup sugar, flour, salt in a medium sauce pan.  Gradually add milk and cook over medium heat until thickened.  

Separate eggs.  Mix 1/2 cup milk mixture to the egg yolks, whisk until mixed and whisk into milk mixture and cook for approximately 2 more minutes.  Take off heat and add vanilla and coconut.  Cool for approximately 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, whip egg whites with pinch of cream of tarter, when soft peaks form add 1/4 cup sugar and whip until stiff peaks form. (I add 1 teaspoon vanilla to my meringue)

Pour Cream filling into baked pie crust.  Spoon meringue on top of cream filling and make pretty.  I sprinkled additional coconut.  I baked at 350 for about 7 - 9 minutes to toast coconut and brown the tips of the meringue.


This pie is super easy to make and taste so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment